This Charter is a declaration of our mission, values
and standards, and our commitment to achieve excellence in the formulation
and implementation of Customs and Central Excise policies and procedures
for the benefit of the trade and industry, who are our partners
WE SHALL CARRY OUT OUR TASKS WITH
- Integrity and judiciousness
- Courtesy and understanding
- Objectivity and transparency
- Promptness and efficiency
We shall encourage and assist voluntary tax compliance by our clients.
We expect you to be prompt and reasonable in fulfilling your duty
and legal obligations and honest in furnishing information to us.
- Acknowledge declarations, intimations, applications, returns
and all communications on the spot and in any case within 7 days
of their receipt.
- Respond to all communication within 15 working days of its receipt.
- Settle any disputes relating to declarations or assessments
within 10 working days of receipt of your written or oral explanation.
- Refund amounts due to you within 48 hours of the export of the
goods in case of electronic declarations and 15 days in case of
- Release, where your declaration relating to any consignment
is complete and consignment is complete and correct,
- in case of exports, within 8 hours of filling an electronic
declaration or within 24 hours of filing a paper declaration.
- in case of imports, within 24 hours of filling an electronic
declaration or within 72 hours of filing a paper declaration
- Complete excise registration formalities within 48 hours of
receiving your application.
- Return to you the input duty documents on which MODVAT credit
has been availed of within 7 days of your submission.
- Complete examination and clearance of your export consignment
at your factory premises, whenever you seek such a facility, within
8 hours of receiving intimation.
- Give you 15 days advance intimation before we undertake audit
of your records.
In case of likely or inevitable delay in decision making or when
an issue is disputed, we
shall promptly communicate the reasons on our own initiative.
WE FURTHER COMMIT THAT
- All uniformed officers who deal with the public will wear name
badges and carry an Identity Card.
- Personal and business information disclosed to us will be kept
- Clearance of consignments will be withheld only after explaining
the reasons for the same and will give you full opportunity to
explain before passing any final order.
- Assesses in the small scale sector will be visited only with
proper authority from senior officers.
- Your tax compliance record will be recognised and security/surety
will not be insisted upon.
- Passengers can walk through customs expecting courtesy, fairness
- Baggage of international passengers will be opened only after
explaining the reasons and in their presence.
- We will help in repacking baggage if we have made you unpack
- We will explain the reasons if we need to search you and offer
our own search before it.
- Investigations and penalty proceedings will be initiated only
after senior officers of the Department are satisfied that prima
facie evidence exists.
- The investigating officer will
- explain the legal provisions and your rights and obligations.
- seek confirmatory information by personal contact.
- No seized document will be withheld beyond 60 days except where
they are to be relied upon in departmental proceedings.
- We will provide full information about appeal procedures and
the authorities with whom appeals can be filled.
- We will continually consult all commercial interests while reviewing
our policies and provide timely publicity of all hanges in the
law or procedures.
- Every possible assistance will be rendered by the Public Relations
Officer in the Divisional Office/commissionerate Office/Custom
House (the name and telephone number of the Public Relations Officer
will be prominently isplayed at such offices by providing all
relevant information and details of procedures as may be required.
- Our performance will be measured against these standards and
independent surveys of clients' perception and assessment of our
performance and the results will be publicised through the media.
COMPLAINTS & GRIEVANCES
We will promptly acknowledge your complaints and within 30 working
days of their
receipt, provide final replies.
If you have a complaint or grievance you may also take up the matter
with the Public
Grievances Committee headed by the Chief Commissioner.
A network of Guidance Units set up in the office of each head of
Customs and Central
Excise will provide help and assistance in Customs and Central Excise